5 Tips for Growing Your Twitter Account to Gain a Following Everyone is on social media these days. One of the most popular social media sites is Twitter. This is a place where you can follow brands, bloggers and another people who are posting about […]
To My Son, Who Is About to Graduate From Elementary School The year was 1991 and my parents got me a boom box for my elementary school graduation. I remember sitting in the MPR, listening to our Principal speak about how we were off for […]
Something happened to our family in February that changed everything for me. I received a call from my mom on the night of February 17th that my sister-in-law, my brother’s wife of almost four years, had lost her battle with clinical depression and we lost […]
A Fun and Educational Game For Your Kids
Looking for a fun game to play with your kids? Here is a fun game to try! Educational too 🙂
Find the Lost Redcoat
Here’s a fun, exciting game for two or more players that blends social studies and geography skills with math coordinate practice. This activity takes your child back in time to the Battle of Lexington and Concord with a few fictional elements thrown in. It all starts with an imaginary British Redcoat who is lost and trying to make it back to Boston. Players take guesses and try to “find” the Redcoat. Play this game and your child will benefit from the map, history, and geometry practice with a coordinate plane while having a terrific time!
What You Need:
“Lost Redcoat Map Grid” page (download here), one per player or team
- Two or more curious kids
- Pen or pencil
What You Do:
- Start by downloading “Lost Redcoat Map Grid” page. If there are two players, each player should get one. If you split into teams, each team should get one.
- Next, you’ll want to make sure that everyone understands the concept of “coordinates.” The game lays the historical map of Boston, Lexington and Concord onto a grid and every intersection can be identified by two numbers: one “across” (the “x” axis), and one “up or down” (the “y” axis). Also be sure that kids are familiar with the compass (included on the bottom-left corner of the Lost Redcoat Map Grid page).
- Choose a leader for the first round. Without showing the other players, the leader should place an “x” on one coordinate of the grid.
- Then the other players will take turns guessing coordinates for where the Redcoat could be. Everyone will start at the furthest edge of the grid near Concord (0,10). Each new guess should be recorded on the Map Grid page to be sure there are no repeat guesses.
- The leader will respond to each guess with a clue, which the players should also write down. However, the clues can only be compass directions. For example, if a player guesses (2,3) but the Redcoat is lost up on (4,8) the leader will say “Go Northeast.”
- The object of the game is to locate the Lost Redcoat. This game should help your child become familiar with geographical direction and mathematical coordinates. See how fast you find the Redcoat this round, and then pick new leaders for as many rounds as possible.
What are you favorite games to play with your kids?
The Best Ways to Make Money Online in 2017 2000. That was the first year I ever made money online. You know what I did? I sold scrapbooking supplies. I had a few fun scrapbooking punches and would punch out 100 of them, put them […]
10 Truths About Blogging
I have been a regular blogger now for about 7 years. Wow! That’s a long time. I have blogged about my family, my pregnancy, military life, books, travels and more. These days, I have a more serious blogging schedule and set work hours. I am living the blogging life. Blogging can be a great way to either earn some extra money, start a business or just have a good place to write.
Blogging allows you to help people with your words.
Some blogs are more about giving advice than others but at the end of the day, your blog will help someone else. Whether you are offering advice on a hobby, on motherhood or on good books. Whether you are giving details on your life, making people laugh or giving them a form of entertainment. Blogging helps others, in many different ways.
Blogging will give you a place to write.
Do you enjoy writing? Do you want a place to do so? Starting a blog is a great way to give yourself a place to write. Starting a blog doesn’t take too long and if you do so, you will always have your own place on the internet to write about what is important to you.
Blogging will introduce you to people you might not have otherwise met.
I have met so many amazing people the last seven years just because of my blog. Other bloggers that blog about what I do and those that blog about topics I don’t know much about. We can all help one another out and connect over our love of blogging. The blogging community is a helpful community and one that is great to be a part of.
Blogging connects you.
Blogging connects you to others. As you blog, you will gain readers. People that you know are reading what you write. These people connect you to the world. They might live in the same city as you do or across the world. The internet is a great place and helps connect bloggers to their readers through their words.
Blogging is a great way to grow as a person.
Through blogging, you will grow as a person. You might be asked to do something you have never done before, like make a video post. You will learn new skills through your blogging, skills you can take with you to another job or to help you grow your current business.
Blogging requires you to focus on something just for you.
As a busy mom, your day might be about diapers, dinner and how to keep your kids busy on the weekends. However, blogging can give you a space just for you. You don’t even have to talk about your kids if you don’t want to. Blogging can be a great way to focus on the things that make you you, not just a mom but you, the woman. And that is a great thing,
Blogging keeps you organized.
Bloggers need to be organized in order to blog on a regular basis. There are a lot of tasks for bloggers to do each and every day. You have to make notes and have to keep to a schedule. This can be difficult to keep up on but if you want to take your blog to the next level, it’s a must. Getting organized can also be fun because there are so many cute planners and notebooks out there to use in your blogging business.
What do you like most about being a blogger?
6 Ways to Combat Loneliness When You Are a WAHM This school year is the first time I have hours and hours of kid-free time during the day, every day, to work at home. The boys get on the bus and then return home about […]
* This post contains affiliate links! So You Want to Start a Blog? A Simple Blogging Guide to Get You Started! Blogging! If you are reading this, you know what a blog is. You like to read them. Have you ever wanted to start your […]